Monday 17 October 2011

Cheers!

Well, I think I have now got to the point where I thoroughly deserve a toast to my success and progress so far - so I downloaded the STL file for the RepRap Teardrop Shot Glass http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11944 and printed one off - and here it is under construction:


And here's the finished article, still bonded to the Blue Tape print bed:

Separated from the print bed - note the "raft", and the internal "whiskers" where the extruder has jumped across from one side to the other when changing to the next layer:

And after some cleaning up:

No, it's not perfect - but it neither does it look like a 3D spider's web, like my first few prints. The outside layer shows a few "sagging" layers, while the inside surface actually looks pretty good, and both the top face and bottom face of the horizontal shot-glass bottom look pretty tight.

Cheers!








(Wait - what's that I hear? Someone is asking if it's actually watertight, and did I actually get a drink from it? No! It leaks like a sieve! But never mind - it's onwards and upwards from here!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    in order to slingshot you through getting your prints to look really nice, you have /tons/ of backlash there!

    Symptoms: perimeters not lining up, curved sections have flat spots

    So, what to do?

    1) tighten belts. They should make a tone of 100hz or more when plucked like a guitar string. That's a low G sharp for the musically inclined

    2) make absolutely certain that your pulleys aren't slipping on your motor shaft. I found grub screws were insufficient, and now I stick my pulleys on with hairspray AND tighten the grub screws down as hard as they go.

    3) make sure your nozzle isn't wobbling vs your X carriage. tighten everything if it is, add paper or other spacing material if the mount is loose

    4) make sure carriages aren't wobbling vs smooth rods. I had a massive jump in quality when switching from spiral bushings to my LM8UU-sized bushings.

    5) tighten belts again. record prints with video camera. Press Y+0.1, Y-0.1, Y+0.1, Y-0.1, try to work out which bits don't move when the motor shaft does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments above by Triffid Hunter.

    Judging by the stringing, you also have to adjust your retraction distance, add some more in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Triffid Hunter & David,
    I had a feeling I might have a backlash problem, but I didn't know what are the symptoms to diagnose this, or how to fix it. Your comments should give me a flying start on improving the quality of my prints.
    I'll work on eliminating the backlash tonight, and report back on my progress.

    ReplyDelete