Wednesday, 16 November 2011

I feel the need ...

... The need for speed!

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but having done some calibration tests http://julianh72.blogspot.com/2011/11/quality-street.html which have made HUGE improvements on my print quality, I decided to see how fast I can print.

I know, I know, I haven't finished calibrating yet, but I guess the "best" 3D printer for me is one that can build parts with "acceptable" quality at the fastest practical speed. I figure it is likely that there will be trade-off between speed and quality, and I just want to know what my options are.

Most of my calibration printing was done at 30 mm/ s, and while it is by no means perfect, the quality is "not bad" (if I do say so myself). I decided to have a go at 45 mm/s and 60 mm/s, just to see what happens.

And here's what happened (with print speeds of 30 mm/s, 45 mm/s and 60 mm/s, from left to right):


In short - my printer will print quite happily at 60 mm/s (maybe more - maybe even a LOT more?), but the quality drops off a bit as the speed increases. (No real surprise there!)

Here's a (bad) video of my machine printing at 60 mm/s:



For now - I will probably do most of my "quality" prints at 30 mm/s, but it is nice to know I can double the print speed whenever I need a "quick and dirty" print of something in half the time.